PROVO, Utah -- Kenzie Barlow will never forget the fear in her son Connor.
"Seeing your child on fire, and them screaming 'help me' is definitely terrifying," she says.
Barlow was charging her e-cigarette in the car charger when she says it exploded, sending the hot coils into the back seat and onto Connor.
The boy suffered first- and second-degree burns.
Fire officials are warning people not to overcharge their e-cigarettes and never leave them charging unattended. A woman in Georgia says her e-cig exploded in her home while charging.
While the devices are still relatively new, they are gaining great popularity, and industry insiders say the cases of explosions are small and don't indicate a huge problem, considering four million Americans now use e-cigarettes.
The devices are not regulated by the FDA, but that may change with mounting pressure from politicians like U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown and Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine.
Another concern about the e-cigarettes is that some believe it may be a gateway to get kids smoking the real thing. A CDC study showed nearly 2 million young people have already tried them.
While they may help some people curb their addiction to tobacco, the jury is still out on health safety.
Dr. George Kikano of University Hospitals says because the device and liquid isn't regulated, you can't be sure what's being used.
While they include nicotine, he says they also come in nearly 250 flavors.