CLEVELAND -- A big crowd is expected downtown or Wednesday's Indians playoff game at Progressive Field.
A sellout crowd of more than 43,000 will be at the stadium with many more expected to be downtown to be part of the atmosphere. Cleveland Police are warning that the combination of workers trying to leave the city and fans trying to get in could create traffic delays.
To help commuters and fans, police are offering the following tips:
• Arrive downtown early
• Utilize public transportation such as buses and the rapid transit system
• If driving is necessary or desirable plan a travel route into and out of the city and have a secondary route in mind
• Familiarize yourself with downtown parking garages and surface lots - understand that the lots nearest the ballpark generally fill up first
• Abide by parking prohibitions (street parking is illegal on streets adjacent to Progressive Field before, during and immediately after each game)
• Be aware of increased pedestrian traffic particularly around the Gateway complex
Additional traffic officers will be stationed downtown to help with vehicle and pedestrian traffic. In addition, extra officers will be stationed at the Gateway complex for security and crowd control.