PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - The Haitian government plans a low-key ceremony to mark the third anniversary of the earthquake that devastated the country.
Haitian President Michel Martelly will preside over what an adviser calls a "subdued" memorial at the grounds of the former national palace.
Presidential adviser Damian Merlo said Saturday's memorial would be a small public event with just senior officials from the government. The palace was destroyed in the quake and most of its rubble has been removed.
The U.N. also plans a small private memorial to mark the anniversary.
Ceremonies and related events last year were more elaborate. The government says the quake killed about 316,000 people. There are still more than 350,000 displaced people living in encampments around the capital.
The Associated Press