LIVE VIDEO: Channel 3 News at 6 p.m.    Watch
 

Lorain County man claims sugarless gum to blame for pet ferret's death

10:16 PM, Apr 30, 2008   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

LORAIN COUNTY -- A Lorain county man says sugarless gum killed one of his ferrets and caused another to go into seizures. Russell James says his animals aparently chewed his pack of sugarless gum. He says he found the torn package under his couch Saturday night. A veterinarian told James that the chemical xylitol used in many sugarless gums can be lethal to animals. Xylitol is used to help give the gum its sweetness without adding calories. An October 2006 American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Press Release confirms that xylitol can be highly dangerous for dogs. James spent $1,000 in vet bills trying to help his beloved pets. He says he just wants other pet owners to be aware of the potential danger sugarless gum can pose to their animals.

WKYC-TV

Most Watched Videos