Your memories: The Blizzard of '78 - Part II

6:04 PM, Jan 25, 2008   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Anonymous said... we were engaged the night before the big blizzard......didn't see each other for 3 days after...still married.:) love to see another storm like that... January 18, 2008 3:57 AM Anonymous said... I was to fly to Baltimore a 2pm .I called the airport at 9:30 was told no delays so I left Akron at 10 AM I arrived at Hopkins at 4PM. The flight left at 10 the next morning.Slept on the floor at Hopkins. January 18, 2008 8:55 AM Anonymous said... I was living in Hawaii and enjoying the balmy weather. January 18, 2008 10:31 AM Anonymous said... I was 17 years old, my parents were out of the country and I was home with just my sister, who, the night of the blizzard, was at work. That was it's own insanity!!My parents came home several days later and we had to find someone with a 4x4 to get them, because our family cars were either stuck in snow banks (my sister trying to get home from work) or just couldn't make it through or over the ice! January 18, 2008 12:46 PM Anonymous said... I was still living at home in Cleveland and I knew it was bad when I no longer saw any buses running on the main street January 18, 2008 12:59 PM Anonymous said... It was a nightmare. I was stranded at a family's house that I did not know for over 24 hours. It was around my birtday, so it is a time in my life that I will never forget. January 18, 2008 2:36 PM Anonymous said... I was about 10 and my grandparents were visiting from PA...When the snow really started falling, my grandfather demanded we take him home! took awhile to convince him the turnpike was closed. We kept warm with the electric oven turned on since we lost our gas but the lights never went out. I remember the drifts being as high as our roof line and all of us sleeping in the living room together! January 18, 2008 2:41 PM Chuck Franzetta said... Gina Michelle was due to be taken via C-section, the morning of the 27th., the same as her sister had been born, which meant that any delay, which would allow her mother to go into labor, could has resulted in death of both. We listened to the wind and watched as it snowed all evening. The snow-fall began to lighten, when, very early, I ventured out to begin shoveling the driveway, which sloped down from the street. With each shovel load, which I tried to heave over the drifts, I couldn't help but look toward the deep snow on the street, wondering how or if my Ford would get through. After about 90 minutes, I had the driveway cleared, bundled my wife, pulled from the garage and shot back to the street, put the car in drive and didn't ease from the gas until we got from Strongsville to the Middleburg Heights hospital. Even more harrowing than the drive, was the walk, from the car to the hospital. The winds were still very strong. Gina Micheel was born at 11:11 am, the most beautiful baby I'd ever seen. Needless-to-say, the number 11 remains her lucky number. January 18, 2008 2:42 PM nursey said... I just remember being a kid, and we had so much snow that my brother(at the time he was a senior in highschool) and I ( a freshman) built tunnels in the front yard. We actually had a "room" like an igloo. We were very protected from the wind and our dog and little brothers(ages 7 and 4) came in and thought it was so cool! Never again was there enough snow to do that. January 18, 2008 3:31 PM BOB Z said... I WOKE UP AROUND 6AM AND LOOKED OUT THE WINDOW, THE WIND WAS BLOWING. I THOUGHT NOTHING OF IT, BY THE TIME I GOT OUT OF THE SHOWER AND READY TO GO TO WORK IT HAD SNOWED ALOT. NEWS FLASHES TELLING FOLKS TO STAY AT HOME AND I COMPLIED. I WAS YOUNG(24 YRS OLD) AND THE ONLT TIME MY ROOMATE AND I LEFT THE HOUSE WAS TO GO ON A BEER RUN. THE WIND WAS BLOWIG STUFF IN EVERY DIRECTION AND IT WAS COLD. THE NEXT DAY WE SHOVELED OUR WAY OUT AND LIFE WENT ON. January 18, 2008 5:41 PM Anonymous said... It was supposed to be my "Sweet 16"party and there I was with my cake and a pretty new dress waiting for my friends, we lived in litchfield twp then and we thought that the end of the world had come, very scarey no power thank god for the wood burning stove still had to milk those cows though there was a generator for the barn and milkhouse(we had our proorties in Litchfield)had to dump the milk though because the milk truck was not able to come and pick up the milk, someone finally came through with a snowmobile so that someone could go to town and get some stuff that we were in desperate need of. January 18, 2008 6:58 PM Anonymous said... I lived in a trailor in Coshocton County. We were evacuated to a local church. It was only 3 miles to the local town/church and a blizzard. I thought we were going to die on the way. We stayed two days in the church. When we returned home, many water pipes had broken. We missed a week of school and it took until May to melt the foot of ice on the roads from all the broken water pipes. January 19, 2008 7:18 AM Anonymous said... I think I said "Brrrr" a couple of times. January 19, 2008 1:12 PM Bonnie said... I remember the Blizzard of 78 well. We got married on the 21st of January. We was able to take a honeymoon because of the weather so we went back to our apartment but had to climb through snow up to our ears just to get in. Ever try to climb through snow like that in a wedding gown? It was cold cold cold. Then to get out the next day we had to crawl out because the snow and ice brought the trees downs over the doors to our apartment. It was not alot of fun doing that. So yes we will be celebrating our 30th anniversary on January 21st. Bonnie Akron Ohio January 19, 2008 8:57 PM Anonymous said... I was a student at Kent State and living in a house with a group of girls off campus. I remember having dreams of being in a tornado the night the blizzard hit. Must have been the wind! We had a carton of cigarettes, but no beer! A crisis! Some friends who had a house about 1/2 mile away phoned and said they had beer, but were out of cigs. Much discussion about who would leave their cozy home, and in the end my girlfriends and I walked down the middle of Main St to get to our friends. There was NO one on the streets. School was out for days and days, but the bars reopened after a day or 2 and they were packed. I lead a more wholesome lifestyle now, but those were fun, crazy times. January 19, 2008 10:48 PM don said... I more than most poeple I believe remember the 77-78 winter as if it were yesterday. I was working for a township in portage county on the road department. There were 3 of us to take care of approximately 30 miles of roads. We would stay out for days and sleep in our trucks when we got tired.When the snow would let up a little; We often slept at the garage before we would go back out to tackle the worsening road conditions. We worked as a family clearing our roads so people could at least have a chance to go from place to place. Our only concern was for the safety of our residents. As you may have sermized our boss was a person you would follow anywhere. He made us feel proud of the work we did. We were the first to be out and the last to go in and through it all our memories of that record breaking year was from the inside of a plow truck. Pulling people out of ditches and plowing roads and anything we could do to assist others. In the winter of 78 all we did was just take care of our extended family and as most family members do we had NO regrets. January 20, 2008 12:08 AM Anonymous said... it was my 18th birthday and i considered it a personal present from god, lol January 20, 2008 5:49 AM Anonymous said... My husband sold auto parts back then. The day of the blizzard and the following week he sold a record number of car batteries. The store couldn't keep batteries in stock! My employer (a doctor) was furious that I arrived 10 minutes late due to traffic on the day of the blizzard. I had never been late before. It took two hours to drive from Fairmount Circle to 106th and Carnegie. The joke was on him when every patient called to reschedule. January 20, 2008 11:22 AM Anonymous said... I was a junior in high school. they let us out of school at noon that it took us two to get home on the bus. On a normanal day it took 10 minutes. January 20, 2008 12:56 PM Anonymous said... We lived about 3 miles just outside of East Canton and we lost all power, had no heat and could not get out for 3 days. My brother and I walked up the hill to the neighbors who had a fireplace. It was warm with their 2 great danes too. They taught me how to play euchre by candlelight which is one of my favorite memories. Thanks Ricky. January 21, 2008 9:41 AM solangej said... I was at Mt. Sinai Hospital and had given birth to my first child one month premature. Nicole had to be transported to University Hospitals for observation due to jaundice. They could not transport her for a while due to the weather and then back to me due to the weather. I'm happy to say we are glad to be celebrating her 30th birthday tomorrow. January 21, 2008 6:23 PM sheila said... My sweet sixteen birthday was January 26, 1978. It was so depressing and unexpectedly my boyfriend showed up with a birthday present, an 8 track tape of Queen. He was not allowed to take the car so he walked one mile in the blizzard to see me. We have been married for twenty three years and that is still a very precious memory to us. January 21, 2008 6:27 PM Rosie said... I worked at Uncle Bill's at W117th and Berea Road and lived in Brook Park. Usually it was about a 20 minute drive. That day though after work it took me over 3 hours to get home. That was teh decding factor in my moving from Brook Park to Lakewood. After all,I wouldn't be able to see my boyfriend who lived in Lakewood and couldn't get to Brook Park!! By the way... that boyfriend has been my husband for the last 27 1/2 years! :) January 21, 2008 6:27 PM Anonymous said... My husband was unalbe to go to work. We had been trying for a few months with no luck to have another child. This October our twins will be 30 years old. Its a weekend we will always remember January 21, 2008 6:34 PM Anonymous said... We were living in a rural area at the time,I was in labor with my daughter, Faith,and nearly had her at home when the blizzard hit.After a six hour struggle to get to a waiting ambulance,that could not get to us (just 2 miles from our home), we made it just in time. An experience I'll never forget!! January 21, 2008 9:34 PM Anonymous said... I had just been promoted to buyer at Higbee's the day before the blizzard. Living in Oberlin at the time, it was a week before I could get back to work. At least we got to see Cat's the night before the storm January 22, 2008 7:46 AM Lisa from Mentor said... I was a student at Ohio State and in a car headed home to Pepper Pike. Little did we know that the weather was going to be that bad! It took over eight hours to arrive home. It was the worst mistake I made, I should have stayed at OSU, at least it was warmer! January 22, 2008 7:48 AM Anonymous said... I was 11 years old. My father never missed a day of work so he tried to in regardless of the weather. He didn't even make it down the street. His truck ended up on the neighbors tree lawn. January 22, 2008 8:15 AM Anonymous said... I was 11 years old. My father never missed a day of work so he tried to in regardless of the weather. He didn't even make it down the street. His truck ended up on the neighbors tree lawn. January 22, 2008 8:15 AM Big and Tired said... I was 7 months pregnant and a nurse in a Cleveland hospital. I arrived at work 3 hours late and only had to drive 5 miles. The police came to my house to pick me up since staffing was short in all of the Cleveland hospitals. I worked 3 eight hour shifts in 32 hours. Since no one could leave the hospital, we had to sleep there. I was "permitted" to sleep on a table instead of the floor since I was pregnant. It is a winter I still have not forgotten. January 22, 2008 8:46 AM Anonymous said... I also was a student at Kent State and lived off campus with a group of girls. We invited the boys down the street to our house and ventured out to get beer. That was an experience in itself. We ended up having a Euchre tournament and making pyramids. (you had to be there) There was nothing else to do but play cards and drink! What a great memory!!! January 22, 2008 8:51 AM Candy said... I was a young English teacher at North Olmsted schools, residing in Old Brooklyn. It was warm and Spring-like when my co-worker and I headed west on Brookpark Rd. for North Olmsted. The snow began, school was canceled, and as we headed back east on Brookpark it became so heavy we couldn't see or move forward. We turned left into NASA and parked, went into the big building (where the cafeteria was), and were stranded there with several hundred others for 3 days! January 22, 2008 8:54 AM Anonymous said... I managed a restaurant on Rt. 20 in North Kingsville and lived in Conneaut. The only way I could get to the restaurant was via Snowmobile, drove it right down Rt 20. I fed the street crew for North Kingsville and anyone else who came in that day. Before the day was over Rt 20 was so deep in snow that a worker from Crombie's Drug Store in Conneaut who was headed home to Ashtabula couldn't go any further, came in, called his family and stayed in the restaurant until the road was cleared by the National Guard. Several days later he stopped in an gave me a box of chocolates as a thank you! I've never forgotten that! January 22, 2008 9:20 AM marlahs said... I was 11 years old and awoke to the howlling of the wind against the windows. My youngest brother who was 7 at the time came down with strep throat. My father was sent out in the storm to Medic Drug Store to get medicine. The pharmacist agreed to wait for him before shutting the store down. A trip which should have taken 5 minutes one way took 45!The grassy areas looks like the surface of the moon from the drifting. Some places in the yard had a dusting of snow while other places had drifts 5 or 6 feet high! January 22, 2008 9:24 AM Anonymous said... I was 14 years old at the time. My dad worked for Norfolk & Western and he had to walk home from E. 105th & Quincy to E. 105th & Lee Ave. We were without heat for 1 week. We all had to sleep downstairs in the living room, in chairs or couches. My grandmother and dog braved it and slept in their bedroom with about 10 blankets. If it weren't for our fireplace we would have froze to death. January 22, 2008 9:28 AM Anonymous said... I was 12 - the wind blew the front door in and we had to board it shut. The power went out due to the high winds and our lines were in the treeline. We ended up in the basement burning newspapers in the incinerator to stay warm. We slept down there as well and power was not restored until late Friday / early Saturday. January 22, 2008 11:05 AM Anonymous said... I was eight living in Huntsburg and remember the neighbor that had a 4x4 on the neighboring farm went to the homes in the area and got a list of needed items. As soon as the national guard brought in the frontend loaders to clear one lane on the state rt he went into town for supplies. We have pictures of our trucks and only a square on top of the roofs was visable showing that a vehicle was actually there. January 22, 2008 12:14 PM The Whiz said... I was about to turn 6, my Dad is now retired, but was a Cleveland Cop and had to get to work, I remember he couldn’t get out the side door and so he managed to get out the front door off our porch, I don’t think we knew where he was but we could hear the shovel and then the snow-blower. I talk about it every winter, it is something that stays with you, although it was exciting to a kid, I never realized all those people perished during that storm, you never realize the magnitude of something like that, you were just glad to be home from school or out making forts or snowmen. Rhonda Whitelock In Parma during the storm January 22, 2008 12:39 PM Mike K said... I remember it very well I was going to college @ The Univ Of Toledo and lived off campus in an apt development which sat about a 1/4 mile off the main Highway I remember being stuck in the complex for almost 3 days before the drive could be cleared I remember snow mobiles delivering food and walking with friends to a nearby store for supplies. The National Guard was all over the toledo area for days after helping clear roads and deliver supplies. It was almost like living in a surreal world January 22, 2008 1:45 PM Cher said... I remember very much that day(s). I was a long distance operator at the phone company in Lorain. My father also worked there as a supervisor. He was already in the storm helping people. He was picking up workers in the big bucket truck to come in, some were stranded. He called me at told me to get clothes that I was going to be working very long hours. I didn't have a choice when your father is the boss. I worked 48 hrs straight and was locked in with others. I was really glad to help out. I really appreicated my job at that time and still do til this day. January 22, 2008 2:02 PM Anonymous said... Thirty years ago I was a young twenty year old married woman who was nine months pregnant and went into labor arount 2 a.m. on January 24th. Of course I called my mother who was so kind as she talked me through about the first five hours of what were at that time mild back and lower abdominal labor pains until she advised me to head to the hospital around 9 a.m. Well, my husband and I got in our old jalopy and made it about a block and a half and Ran Out of Gas! Luckily my husband was able to borrow a neighbors car and got me to the hospital where I endured about thirteen more hours of what turned out to be terrible back labor. Finally our first daughter, Dawn, was born, a gorgeous, healthy, bright eyed beauty with strawberry blonde hair! We couldn't have been happier. But when I finally made it to my hospital room at Akron General and looked out the window I saw what looked to me like Five Feet of Snow Out the Window! It was the worst snow storm I've seen in my life and I'll always remember the day my lovely Dawn Starr was born! January 22, 2008 4:00 PM Jac Rabbit said... Thirty years ago,I was laying on Southbeach in Miami, Florida enjoying the warmth of the sun and not thinking about anything! Ole Yea!!!! The good old days! January 22, 2008 4:41 PM De & Joe said... My husband was a lineman for CEI. When we heard the weather report, we had planned an evening with our neighbors. A special dinner in front of the fireplace. Plans changed when the blizzard hit--he worked 3 days straight, with very little time off. In fact, one of your "on the street reporters" at the time interviewed my husband and his co-worker. The reporter really did a great interview, and I called him the next day to thank him for his kindness, and understanding of what the men were going through. Those dinner plans turned into our Annual Blizzard Dinner, which carried on for many more years. January 22, 2008 5:21 PM Anonymous said... january 27th is my birthday-- so the blizzard hit on my 12th birthday. i remember being scared because we lived in a cul de sac in lorain and all the snow blew into our house and we couldn't get out for days. when we finally got dug out, my neighbor and i played and rode sleds down snow drifts that were more than halfway up the electric poles! January 22, 2008 8:37 PM Anonymous said... I was a sophomore in high school and the bus was not able to pick us up at Magnificat in Rocky River. It took 8 hours by foot to get home to North Olmsted with my 2 classmates Pam and Ellen. January 22, 2008 8:37 PM christine spring said... I was five years old during that winter storm. My sister's and I went to Homer Nash Kimball. Since I was in kindergarten, I was home that afternoon, but my sisters were stranded at school. My mom told me that the National Guard had to transport the kids home from school. My friend and I used to play a board game called the Blizzard of 78. January 22, 2008 10:04 PM Volo said... In the fall of 77, my wife and I moved into our new home in Thompson, thinking we had really beaten the high price of real estate. Being from other areas, we had never heard of lake-effect snowfall. That night in January, I got home about midnight to find my driveway clogged to a depth of five feet. Had to leave my car parked on a busy state road while I shoveled frantically to clear some space in the driveway. Managed to get it in, but gave up on shoveling further when the snow on either side of the drive piled so high that it just fell back as I tossed it up. Buyers remorse the hard way. January 23, 2008 3:51 AM Anonymous said... I vividly remember that blizzard. I was pregnant and we decided to move. We had packed up all of our belongings and only had one load left to get, our Saint Bernard/Syberian Husky mix, named Mozart. We went back to our apartment and he was gone. He wasn't buried under the snow as he usually was, he was flat out gone. We were devastated as we loved this dog more than anything. We looked everywhere for him and were unable to find him. We finally looked in the lost/found section of the Akron Beacon Journal. There was an ad in there stating found large dog, red collar, call xxx-xxxx to identify. Well we called the number and a father of two answered. After asking the man where he had found the dog he stated he found the dog in the O'Neils parking deck and had a man cornered and wouldn't let him enter his vehicle. He asked us to identify the dog. He was easy to identify as he looked like a Saint Bernard but had the white eyes of the Husky. The man was almost sure this was our dog and asked if there was any other way to identify him. My husband thought about it and then calmly asked what the man called him. The man replied, belzabub. My husband told the man to call out the name Mozart, which he did. All of a sudden you heard screaming right before the phone hit the floor. The dog was so happy to hear his name called that he jumped up on the man and had him pinned on the floor and was licking his face. January 23, 2008 10:41 AM Anonymous said... I'll never forget it-I was in the hospital recovering from carpal tunnel surgery and my wife called and wanted to visit-I told her to stay home-I went to the solarium to have a smoke and the plate glass window was moving like a speaker coil-snow was blowing in a little hole in the corner of the window-a nurse chased me back to my room. January 23, 2008 1:46 PM Anonymous said... I was working at the time for the warner & swasey electronics division in solon at the time of the blizzard of 78 and at first we were told to stay at the plant, then a few hours later when the storm subsided somewhat we were alowed to leave. A drive that normaly should have taken me about 20 to 25 mineutes to get back to Chagrin where I lived wound up taking me over an hour and 25 mineutes to get home! I have never seen such a heavy snow fall since the year of 1950 when I was a small boy and was growing up out in Russell! That year over 3 feet was dumped on the area over night and it took a road grader with a V Plow making one path down rt.306 , which is the road that I lived on at the time, to clear some sort of path on that highway. January 23, 2008 7:55 PM Anonymous said... I was 14 years old when the blizzard of 1978 hit, but I remember it today is if it happened yesterday. I recall weather alerts running across the bottom of the screen the eve of the storm and remember my father scoffing, saying that there was no way the warm weather that had occurred that day would result in a blizzard that quickly. If memory serves me correctly the temperature had soared to around 50degrees and when the words "BLIZZARD WARNING" scrolled along the bottom of the TV I clearly remember a degree of excitement...most of which was based on the thought we may not have school the next day. As our family all headed to bed I remember that we spoke about what we may wake up to the next morning. Well, it did't take all night for the storm to arrive. In the wee hours of that morning it ripped through Elyria like a 80 mile an hour freight train. It woke everyone up in our house and I recall my father being concerned that the array of glass windows in our living room that faced west, could possibly be blown out from the wind. As the storm continued to batter us, my parents flipped on their bearcat scanner to hear what was going on around town. The police were in a frenzy with reports of downed wires, broken out windows in numerous local businesses and a real concern of what eventual damage that this storm would cause. Needless to say my dream of a NO SCHOOL announcement was quick to come, as I recall Joel Rose from the morning exchange saying "that he was sure most schools were closed, and if they aren't don't go anyways". It had already been an active weather period and snowstorms seemed frequent that year, but I knew, even at 14 years of age, that this was a storm I would remember forever. That morning, at the peak of the storm, my mother mentioned to my dad that we needed to get to the store if it was possible. Well, my dad was never one to back down from a challenge, so he fired up our old 1968 Chevy Caprice station wagon...yep, one of those with the fake would paneling, and he said "son", do you want to venture out with me"? I was a bit nervous, but to me my dad could do anything so I excitedly said "yep, I'll go". I remember as we pulled out of our driveway we found it difficult to get going, but as we turned onto the street that our local convenient store was on, I knew that this too was going to be something I would remember forever. About a quarter mile down the street I remember my dad saying, "hang on and take a look at this snow drift coming up". I recall that he tried to get some speed up as we were going to take this drift head on. As we got close I could see that this drift in the road was higher than the hood of our car. As we hit it, there was so much snow flying that it took several seconds before we could see again but even then visibility was virtually nothing. After a few minutes we made it to the store and I remember the shock on the managers face as we made our way inside. He was contemplating closing the store but realized that if he could gut it out, and people needed some essentials, that it would be a great service if he could remain open. We struggled getting home at the winds seemed to be consistently reaching 60 mph but we made it. As the day went by we were just shocked that this storm wasn't letting up. It wasn't so much the know but the unbelievable wind. There was virtually no way to know how much snow that we got but I remember that most of the area received about 8 inches. As reports came in throughout the day it was clear that this was a storm that would go down in history as one of the most deadly and vicious storms that the area had ever seen. I have lived in Elyria my entire life, and all snowstorms that roll through are inevitably compared to that storm....but so far, nothing compares to the Blizzard of 78'. January 24, 2008 11:32 AM Julie B. said... I grew up about ten miles outside of Findlay, Ohio. On the first night of the blizzard one of our neighbors went into labor. My dad had to take our pregnant neighbor and her husband in one of our four-wheel drive John Deere tractors to the outskirts of Findlay were the ambulance met them. Mom and baby were fine! January 24, 2008 2:08 PM Becky T said... We were living in Parkman, I was 5 and my sister was 9 years old. We couldn’t see out the windows because there was so much snow, so my dad, mom, grandma, sister and I barricaded ourselves in the living room where we stayed warm and cooked via the fireplace. We were into Barbie dolls – and my sister, the creative genius, threaded a small piece of a straw with a string and taped it to the ceiling to make a Barbie trapeze. January 24, 2008 3:19 PM Anonymous said... I lived in Solon and worked in downtown Cleveland at the time. Drove to the Shaker rapid station and stood with about 20 people in the shelter waiting for the train. It was silent until a man's voice from the back said, "If I were a psychiatrist, I'd be passing out business cards." Got to the office to find they'd closed it! It took me 12 hours to get home. January 24, 2008 3:19 PM Anonymous said... I was 13 years old at the time. I remember delivering the Plain Dealer that morning. I had a paper route that was modestly consisting of 45 houses and never took more than 30 minutes to complete. That morning dragging my sled loaded with the morning edition, took almost an hour and a half to drag the sled and slosh thru the snow and biting winds... January 24, 2008 7:50 PM gerry K said... I remember that storm all to well but the biggest storm to hit Cleveland I believe was Thanksgiving day or around that time in 1950 I was just 13 yrs old we lived on W 73rd and Herman, a walk to Detroit ave was a whole 4 min if that , well they announced on the radio if anyone could make it to the Dairymans milk Co on w 110th near Lorain they could have all the free milk they wanted , my mother asked me if I thought I could make it there and back, for my Baby sister who was 1 yr old well it took me nearly an hour just to get to the top of my street and visibility was nearly zero and the snow was actually up to my crotch at that time, when all of a sudden a Army Tank was rolling down Detroit at W. 75th I got so scared, I thought the Russians were taking advantage of the weather, and were attacking us, I think I made it back home in 10 min to warn my Mother that the Russians were coming. There was Big Greyhound Bus stalled out sideways at the Lake ave mini hill too. That was before Cleveland had snow plows.ha ha Yep also in 78 we were on our way to St Louis in a truck camper and I had my head out the window to see the reflector sticks for my hubby, the visibility was zero and following those reflectors put us right into the I71 rest area and there we stayed till the next day when it was all over.Yep those were the good ole days as they say. Gerry K January 24, 2008 8:14 PM Debbie, Betsy's patient big sister said... Since Betz has decided to take a shot at me in tonight's weather blog, ( I have only this forum in which to make a reply! My dear sister and I had to share a bed under several blankets and a sleeping bag. Only the front of the house was warm (not the bedrooms) since the fireplace was in the living room. It was during this blizzard that I learned the difference between gas and electric power- I recall being relieved that our gas stove still worked even though the electric was out! As to the WKYC news crew coming by, I have vague memories of sitting in a chair and being filmed and later seeing a 2 sec. shot of Betsy and I on the news. Who'd have thought it would be her big break? My weather memories of two college winters in Syracuse are more vivid than the Blizzard of '78 but I don't think we ever had a power outage of that magnitude! January 24, 2008 9:40 PM lulu2 said... We had just moved to our home in Olmsted Twp. The road was undeicated, which pretty much meant ..last road plowed by who ever wasn't busy. Then it was very rural area. There was a Horse training stable on the next road where my cousin worked, the people who worked there with her like most people had no way to get home in the storm no matter how deep it was...the roads were impassable. They showed up at our door, with there lunches, and all items that were in the work fridge and they stayed with us along with a young couple who were stranded on cook road for the next few days. We stayed by the fireplace we were glad that we had not yet bought living room furniture so everyone had a place on the floor to sleep..and the storm proved to be a good reason to practice emergency preparadness(food, candles, blankets etc). The only thing we ran out of was bread and milk, and my cousins wonderful yet crazy boyfriend put chains on his 1970 camero and made it to a Lawsons store only to purchase one of the last of the bread and milk on the shelves. No one ever thinks about the delivery trucks not being able to get through the storms and bad weather until you find the cupboards bare. It was a good time for everyone despite the storm. We all became close friends. And we felt blessed that we were able to help. January 24, 2008 11:57 PM


Most Watched Videos