LIVE VIDEO: Channel 3 News at 11 p.m.    Watch

Your Memories: The Blizzard of '78 - Part I

5:04 PM, Jan 25, 2008   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Anonymous said... I was 8 years old living in Vernilion. VOL. Dad worked at Lake Terminal Railraod. He spent days there. Remember he made a tunnel from the door to the car port. Being that small as I was it looked to me like 12' of snow. Drifts musta been high. I'll never forget that. January 15, 2008 7:11 PM freezedr said... I was stuck on Rt. 237 next to the airport for 14 hours until the national guard came and backed us all out into Berea. I only started out with 1/4 tank of gas and had to start the truck intermittently just to stay warm. There was also no radio to listen to. I read the owners manual about twenty times. January 15, 2008 7:42 PM Anonymous said... I was a new graduate of Nursing and was employed and still am by University Hospitals. I had to say in the doctors quarters at University Hospitals as not very many of the Intensive Care Nurses to get to work or get out of the hospital to go home. We took care of people and were glad we could be there for them. Denise K January 15, 2008 8:11 PM Paula J said... I was a bored sixteen year old stuck at home. I got so desperate for something to do that I dug out my Dad's "Learn to Type at Home" class (on LP's!) and taught myself to type - quite proficiently I may add. I also reread every single book in the house. It wasn't like we had cable TV, internet, or video games. January 15, 2008 10:03 PM Anonymous said... I was only four but I remember the huge piles of snow in the driveway, which the tractors from the farm up the road had made when they plowed it for us. January 15, 2008 10:11 PM Anonymous said... It was a memorable day because I had my first child that day. It was already bad with 10 ft snowdrifts on the roads in Huron, were I lived. I went to my mothers the night befor to ensure I'd not have the baby at home. My husband ,Mark, worked at the Mink farm in Huron and when he got 'The Call' he had a head on collision trying to get over the bridge to rt 6. Nobody came to see little Keith and I they all said they couldn't get out of the house ect. On the ride home Keith and I got to see the aftermath. January 15, 2008 10:24 PM Anonymous said... I was leaving Tri-C East. I turned onto Richmond to get to 271 and my car died. Of course there were no cell phones. A man in a 4 wheel drive stopped and I remember saying I needed a ride to the gas station. I told him I didn't usually take rides with strangers, but I figured I had to trust that he wasn't a murderer because it was a ride with him or freeze to death. I also remember that Tri-C NEVER cancelled classes thoughout the entire storm...that was ridiculous!! January 15, 2008 10:54 PM Anonymous said... i remember the storm well...i was stranded couldnt get home my car doors froze shut, had to stay in town at my great grandparents house with them, the whole town was basically shut down,was so afraid id end up pregnant because i couldnt get home to my birth control pills...lived in windfield ohio...couldnt make it back home for a couple of days. January 16, 2008 1:10 AM Joseph said... Our first child was just two weeks old. Fortunately my mother was staying with us at the time. I drove a car with no radio in it. I left Barberton and could not drive on Rt #21 or I-77. I took old 21 to Independence. Worked one hour, they were shutting down the plant. I and another associate drove Brecksville Rd. all the way back to Barberton. You could only go about 10 to 15 miles an hour. January 16, 2008 6:00 AM Anonymous said... Oh how I remember that day so well. You see it was my wedding day. The minister that was going to marry me borrowed a 4 wheel jeep from another parishiner, came to my home and married me. What an aweful day but sure one I will always remember. January 16, 2008 6:17 AM Anonymous said... My son was just born at Marymount Hospital. The nurses let me go home early. If they did not, I would have been stsuckat the hospital for 4 more days. January 16, 2008 6:48 AM Anonymous said... We bought our first house in 1978 and the snow was shoveled so high in the driveway, we could not even ack the moving truck into the yard. Everything had to be hauled across the packed show, which we put boards down on so we could move easier. I sure loved the snow though!!!!!! January 16, 2008 6:50 AM Anonymous said... I worked in Solon and lived in Ravenna. It took me six hours to drive home! They let work out early, but all the other companies did too. Lines of cars trying to exit their workplaces...snow piling down from the sky! Moving several feet every 15 minutes or so. It was a time I will never forget. Some people just stayed at work overnight. January 16, 2008 7:27 AM Anonymous said... I was 4 1/2 yrs old at the time. I remember the national guard coming to our house to dig my dad out so he could get to Fairview Hospital to keep the computers running. At that time there had to be someone at all times in the computer room. The snow drifts were up to the top of our house and to 3 little girls it was beautiful. January 16, 2008 7:45 AM Anonymous said... I was a senior in high school in Newbury. My fun and CRAZY friend, just had to get out of the house! So she drove her car over (only God knows how) and picked me up. It was just after the storm and it was a beautiful sunny day but it looked like a war zone out there. I still believe we were the only ones on the streets that day! January 16, 2008 8:00 AM Anonymous said... Was awakened by the windows rattling in the fire station. We all got up to see what was happening and watched the progression of the storm and what it did to billboards and the roofs of buildings. Can't tell you how much "fun" it was trying to fight fires in that weather. As I recall, the windchills were around -100 F. Once they got wet, the fire clothes froze and at one fire, my helmet was frozen to my head. January 16, 2008 8:26 AM Jo Anne said... I grew up in SE Ohio and my sister's wedding was planned to the nth detail for January 21. On January 20, our families and the entire wedding party transformed the church basement into a reception hall, and the local radio station broadcast that her wedding (a union of two families of 8 children each---we called them dynasties for a laugh) and reception had been transferred from the original location. The church was packed, the music played well into the night and we had a ball! Did I mention that my dad blacklisted any other winter weddings in our family? January 16, 2008 8:45 AM Anonymous said... I wasn't even born yet however my parents got married during the Blizzard. January 16, 2008 9:07 AM Kelly said... Oh my! I was 4 years old during the blizzard of '78. The details are limited but I remember living in Geauga County at the time and being at home with my mother and sister - my father was at work. I recall the National Guard coming to the house and picking the three of us up. Where they took us too - I don't recall. The weather was horrible - frigid temperatures and alot of snow. January 16, 2008 9:37 AM Anonymous said... i was 10 years old, my parents had a snowplowing business so my brother and i often went along for the ride. I went out with my dad that day in his Jeep CJ-7 soft top that he used to plow narrow areas with at the old Eaton plant on E. 140th in Cleveland. We came around the south side of the building and the snow was several feet higher than the jeep stood and my dad just laughed because there was no moving that pile! i believe he had to get a front end loader to clear that mess. what an unbelieveable storm but the sled riding was good! January 16, 2008 10:03 AM Anonymous said... I was a 13 year old living in Ashland. All of my aunts and cousins went for dinner at Grandma's house and were stranded. There were 6 adults, 2 teens and 8 babies under 5. The national guard came on snowmobiles and brought us milk and quilts. my cousin and I tunneled through the snow and made a fort. The snow was all the way up to the bottom of the first floor windows. The guard had to pry the door off! To us it was fun, but I am sure my grandparents were freaked out! January 16, 2008 10:04 AM Anonymous said... I remember the 1978 blizzard..Most people were stuck at home. My friend and I went to Randall Park Mall to shop. We were crazy! The roads were very hazardous, but since we didn't have to go into work, we went shopping! And later that year in October,my first child was born, and all the babies in the nursery at Marymount Hospital had snowflakes on the cribs saying Blizzard Baby! January 16, 2008 10:13 AM Anonymous said... I remember the 1978 blizzard..Most people were stuck at home. My friend and I went to Randall Park Mall to shop. We were crazy! The roads were very hazardous, but since we didn't have to go into work, we went shopping! And later that year in October,my first child was born, and all the babies in the nursery at Marymount Hospital had snowflakes on the cribs saying Blizzard Baby! January 16, 2008 10:13 AM Anonymous said... My brother and I had a paper route in 78. We were in middle school at the time. The Beacon Journal trucks that delivered the bulk newspapers could not get through to deliver our supply so we were able to take an unheard of day off. Our customers were NOT so understanding. Our phone rang off the hook that day with customers complaining that the daily newspaper was not delivered to their doorstep....Boo Hoo! People can be very demanding and self centered without thinking about the conditions of the world around them. January 16, 2008 10:40 AM Anonymous said... It was my fourth birthday and we lived in Newbury. And my mom has made cupcakes and cake for me to take so school. But we trapped because of the snow drifts, so we ate cake and cupcakes until the National Guard came out. Mom told me that the snow drifts were up the telephone poles! January 16, 2008 10:44 AM Anonymous said... I was driving a 98' olds wagon and three of us left Mt. Gilead for Bowling Green to see a MAC basketball game. We were picking up a friend in Findley and proceeding to BGSU. We didn't get a mile from his house and decided to return. Snow was blowing so hard that I could only see the front of the hood of the car. Visibility was so bad that I actually drove off the left side of the road. We were moving at a crawl when that happened. As soon as that happened a semi truck, traveling the opposite direction, passed us on the right .almost hitting our car. We were stuck in the ditch and a young man in a 4-wheel jeep stopped to assist. He had a set of chains and I crawled under the back of the car and secured them over the leaf springs to pull us out and my hands froze on the chains. You had to peel your hands off the chains it was so cold. We finally were able to get out of there and returned to my friends house a short distance away and stayed the night. That same night, in Mansfield, a trucker left his rig and began walking to seek shelter. They found him frozen to death next to a mailbox. The wind and cold was so intense that he was unable to see the mailbox. January 16, 2008 10:56 AM Dawn said... I was eight years old and lived on Blizzard Ridge Hill (the name was fitting) in Urichsville, Ohio. My dad worked in Cleveland and could not get there for several days. He took his bulldozer up and down the roads and dug the farmers and older people out of their driveways. It seemed like we missed all winter of school. It was fun. I remember my cat climbing the ladder to get on the roof out of the snow. January 16, 2008 11:23 AM Anonymous said... I was 7 years old, live in Conneaut, I just got a small snowmobile,"kids size" and I got all suited up and my day keep shaking his head, so we went to the garage, he opened the door and the snow was 2" away from the gutter, thats almost 9 feet high., He says to me I don't think so. Then he want me to knock down the drifts so he could see out the window. So I went next door and had the "Brady Bunch" 4 kids next door to help, We grabbed our sleds "of course it was the oldest one's idea" and walked to the top of the roof and slid down right on top of the drifts, It was fine till dad came out and said," GET YOU HID-ENDS OFF OUR ROOF, YOUR KNOCKING ALL THE GRIT OFF OUR SHINGLES" well the grit was still their for another 10 years and a few hours later a state snow blower came down our dead end street in the city, as we watched from the window as the window rattled. I said I wanted to do that. Now after 15 years with ODOT and 30 years after the storm, we haven't a a good storm since, 1997 was close January 16, 2008 11:51 AM Anonymous said... i was a senior in high school...snow days how about snow weeks...the kids today praying for snow days we had a week or better..noone could go down our streets in chardon they had to be bulldozed by maybe the national guard it was crazy...we were trapped in our houses... January 16, 2008 12:13 PM Anonymous said... I lived across from Edgewater Park at the time on the third floor of a big house. My outdoor stairway entrance was covered on the top and sides, so I was protected from the wind and snow and didn't yet know how bad the storm was when I opened my kitchen door to let my collie down the stairs and into the fenced back yard. When she reached the bottom of the steps, the wind snatched her sideways and she disappeared as though an invisible cane had yanked her off a stage in an old cartoon. I ran down the steps in my pjs and barefeet and found her 15 feet away held against the back fence by the wind and looking helpless. I've never been sure how I got her and me back upstairs. It know it made me appreciate all those blizzard-on-the-prairie scenes in books and movies. Later I found out I was going to be docked a day's pay because my idiot co-worker, walked to work at our 2 person office at Lake and Detroit. I was told that since I lived only a mile from the office that I could have made it too. January 16, 2008 12:49 PM Angie said... I remember that day very well since I was 6 years old, in kindergarden and the schools let us out early. My dad was supposed to pick us up that day and didn't know we got let out early. My friend Dee Dee and I decided to walk home in the blizzard and I remember Dee Dee's mom trying to find us in the storm calling out our names. We didn't know we shouldn't have tried walking home on our own! We finally arrived home safely! January 16, 2008 12:59 PM Anonymous said... I remember the day before it was around 60 degrees out and very windy and it felt weird. I had to bowl with my work league the night before the blizzard hit and I had a new German Shepherd pup Charlie which I had taken to my Mom's the night before to babysit. My younger sister had to take him out in that blizzard and I never heard the end of that. After the snow piles finally melted, he was not sure where to go to take care of business! Ever after, whenever it was windy, the dog was afraid! January 16, 2008 1:02 PM Anonymous said... I was 11 years old and lived in Newbury. We had about 15 days of school off that year. I remember our pipes froze but did not break. My mom and dad had got the house warmer and they got unfrozen so it would not do it again. We had 4-5 feet of snow in the yard. My parents have a picture of the driveway because we knew it was monumental but I can't send it in because it's not with me. We still talk about it every now and then. It's probably one of the top 10 reasons we moved out of the snowbelt. When you live in Geauga County-prepare for major snow. January 16, 2008 1:26 PM Anonymous said... 10 years old, Kiss concert at Richfield Coliseum,5 of my cousins friends sleeping in our living room, no school for 4 or 5 days January 16, 2008 1:44 PM Anonymous said... I was home alone with a newborn in the counrty, my husband was stranded at work. Our power stayed on, though we did purchase a wood-burning stove the next year. Family members called regularly asking if the baby had enough to eat and if we were warm enough. After the storm, the neighbor came with his backhoe or some kind of large construction machine and cleared the driveway. January 16, 2008 2:09 PM Anonymous said... I remember very well. I was at home with my family, husband, 2 teenagers & a 9 day old baby. We were very scared & were thinking if lost power we would go to Holiday Inn. I guess it was the worst storm I had ever seen in my lifetime. As of 6yrs. we live in the South & we do not miss SNOW! January 16, 2008 2:19 PM Anonymous said... I was 10 years old and I remember being without power for 3 or 4 days and sleeping on my parents mattress in front of the fireplace in the living room to keep warm. My dad tried to get to my grandmother's house to dig her out - her driveway was 1/4 of a mile long but it was too drifted over. The neighbor joked that they would have to send their St. Bernard back with a barrel of adult beverages and other supplies since my grandmother couldn't get out. Someone sold t-shirts to commemorate the blizzard, "I survived the blizzard of '78" January 16, 2008 2:22 PM denniscav said... I remember that at 5:30 AM the house began to shake from the wind and instead of being a gust, it increased in velocity. When I arose and turned on the outside light, I could not see the barn due to the horizontal snow. We lost electrical power and survived by melting snow for water and using the fireplace for warmth. January 16, 2008 2:49 PM Anonymous said... It snowed a lot - Oh yeah, and it was cold, too. January 16, 2008 4:18 PM Mary L. said... I was 16, and my sister was 14 in 1978. I remember being violently awoken by the sound and cold as window in our bedroom was blown completely out of its frame, and ending up in the middle of our room, due to the atmospheric pressure created by the storm. Our dad had to come in and board up the hole until the blizzard passed and he could replace the window. January 16, 2008 4:43 PM Anonymous said... I remember a complete white-out and couldn't even see the neighbors house across the street. Oh, and no school for almost a week. January 16, 2008 4:55 PM nsw Maggie said... We lived in Rocky River and had plenty on hand to eat. The whole family worked on a jig saw puzzle of the Sistine Chapel Ceiling while watching "Roots" on TV. A red-breasted merganser fell (literally) into our back yard. Our kids rescued it and we fed it whisky to revive it as we frantically called for help. The naturalist said he would come over and we could feed HIM the whisky. January 16, 2008 5:59 PM piscescj said... I remember it well. The Flatlanders 4-Wheel Drive Club came together with the Lorain County Sheriff's Dept. and took deputy's to wherever they were needed. The members worked for the first 24 hours without a break. I know this because I was on the CB & phone with them. These people were just everyday guys with one goal, to help whoever needed them. The Flatlander's were given a State Senate Resolution honoring them, thanks to then State Senator Ron Nabokoski. We all did what we could to help without looking for praise. God Bless them all and thanks for all your help. January 16, 2008 6:02 PM Anonymous said... No heat in our home with a 2 year old and new 2 1/2 month old baby. We stayed in the finished basement with a constant fire in the fire place there. It was tricky thawing frozen wood without ruining the fire. January 16, 2008 6:13 PM friedab said... I, and a whole lot of other folks, formed a human chain and walked accross, what was then, the Superior-Detroit Bridge fro Lutheran Medical Center to Public Square. We couldn't drive our cars and CTS came to a complete halt. January 16, 2008 6:30 PM Anonymous said... I was only 4 so I don't remember it but I grew up hearing the story that our neighbors from two houses down came to our house for tacos. They tied a rope around each other so they wouldn't get separated in the storm. We had really small yards so it must have been really bad out that night! January 16, 2008 7:12 PM sanduskian said... i was 16 and my mother had just died 2 weeks prior. we had just moved into a new house that week and ended up tying ropes around my family to go to a neighbors home that had a fireplace that walk took us almost a half hour to get across the street January 16, 2008 9:09 PM Huggybear said... I was a senior attending John F. Kennedy High School in Cleveland. I wore an unlined leather coat, spring dress, nylon stockings and high healed shoes (I wanted to make a fashion statement) while trying to catch a No. 56 bus. The bus passed me by - with windows laced with ice - as I stood on a 5ft snow mound on East 141st and Harvard. That was the single most infuential factor determining where I attended college - IN THE SOUTH!!!!! Huggybear '78 January 16, 2008 9:47 PM Anonymous said... I remember my dad waking me up to help him shovel the 1974 Chevy Impala out because the snow plows had plowed it in the night before. He had to park on the street because we were renting at the time. He had to go to work and I had to go to school. We lived in east Cleveland then off of Euclid avenue, not far from Ivanhoe and London rd. January 16, 2008 9:59 PM Anonymous said... I lived in Avon Lake at the time. My house was near the lake shore. I remember waking up at 4:30AM and noting that it was extremely quiet and almost warm outside. By 5:00AM, the wind & snow started. At 7:00AM, a co-worker of mine picked me up and we started down Lake Rd for our job in downtown Cleveland. Hard to see and there were trees and large branches blocking Lake Rd. We turned around and went home. I called into work to tell them that I would not be in. No one answered the phone. Go Figure. Spent the day inside watching the storm blow across the lake. January 16, 2008 10:30 PM Anonymous said... I was up with my 6 month old, giving him his early feeding. It was eerily quiet, then suddenly, it was like air rushing in to fill a vaccuum and the wind literally shook the house. When I looked out the window, I couldn't see across the street. My husband tried getting to his office three times before he gave up. It took him nearly three hours to get from our house in Parma to Rockside and Broadview. We were very glad that we didn't lose power, had plenty of groceries, and could watch the news reports on the TV. The next morning, the sun was shining and all was calm. That, and the 4th of July storms are the most dramatic events I remember in Cleveland weather. January 16, 2008 11:13 PM Anonymous said... I sure cant say I remember it, but my parents told me about it and how they didnt leave the house for days. And my birthday is October 20 1978, so I think I know why my parents remember the blizzard. January 16, 2008 11:38 PM Anonymous said... I was born in that winter storm. My mother tells me how My father went to work by the steel mill and it took him hours to get home (which by the way was at the time 75th and St. Clair) I was born on Feb, 8th of 78. Just that I was born during that time at least there was something that my parents can tell that many remembers.I love hearing how long it took them to get tot the hospital..else I would have been born in a car. January 17, 2008 12:46 AM Anonymous said... I had given birth to my daughter on the 23rd and was to leave the hospital on the 26th. However, because of the storm we had to stay another day. They pulled the drapes closed in the hospital rooms because they were afraid the windows would blow out. We were not allowed to make/take phone calls. My husband--now ex--was a bear because he could not get to the hospital to bring us home. I enjoyed the extra time alone bonding with my beautiful little baby girl. But, I was not looking forward to going home to a crabby husband. I remember it being a very snowy winter 1977/78 and staying at my mom-in-laws a few nights to be closer to the hospital in case I went into labor. Good and bad memories. January 17, 2008 9:40 AM Nancy said... I was attending college downtown and lived in the tremont neighborhood. The trip home was about ten minutes by bus. That day it took us two hours just to go across the Lorain Carnegie bridge. January 17, 2008 1:00 PM Anonymous said... I spent the blizzard in Mt Sinai Hospital after having delivered my son in the elevator. We just made it to the hospital in time. I never had any visitors and was in the hospital for a week as they wouldn't discharge new mothers and infants. Once out I couldn't believe all the snow. My husband told me that I should have seen it at it's full impact. January 17, 2008 1:33 PM Anonymous said... I was a child traveling home to Strongsville with my family......we were coming home from West Virginia....the closer we got to Strongsville, the worse the weather became.....we were stranded in a row of cars on I-71 just south of Rt. 303 Exit.....we could see the Exit, but could not go anywhere.....prior to the final standstill, every so often when we travel a few miles up I-71, someone had built snow creations....we wound up spending the night in my Mom's station wagon and luckily we had apples and pumpkin pie in the car to eat...we could see the L&K Restaurant at the Exit ramp, but the snow was too deep to get to...I'm now 41 years old and will never forget the night we had to sleep in the car on I-71 in Brunswick... January 17, 2008 2:24 PM Anonymous said... It was windy....and snowed a tad. January 17, 2008 3:32 PM roda said... I was 28 years old and decided that weekend to color my hair. I went from a very bleached blonde to a very dark brown shade. I HATED it and was so happy that on Monday, due to the snowstorm, the company I worked for cancelled work that day! It gave me another day to keep washing my hair, trying to lighten it up..... January 17, 2008 3:53 PM Anonymous said... I remember being about 8 or 9 years old and the snow had reached the height of our garage. We were able to climb up the snow bank to the top of the garage and slide down using gargage can tops and sleds. Those were the days. January 17, 2008 4:22 PM Jim said... My wife and I were in our early 20's living in our first apartment and both working for Ray Shepardson at Playhouse Square. I remember coming home from work early the day before the blizzard because of an unbearable sinus pressure headache. The next morning we awoke to a ringing phone. It was the business manager at Playhouse Square telling us to stay home. Due to the blizzard the offices would be closed. The first thing I noticed was that my headache was finally gone. The next thing we noticed was that our basement apartment had no natural light due to the amount of snow covering our windows. We could hear what sounded like a freight train outside, and then realized it was the wind. We did what any red blooded American skier would do. We had breakfast, packed up the skiis and drove to Snow Trails in Mansfield. Of course we were the only ones on the road and two of the few guests at Snow Trails. A Highway Patrolman met us at the entrance and told us we were crazy. We did ski for a couple hours and had a great time then went home and enjoyed the days off that the blizzard provided. January 17, 2008 4:40 PM Anonymous said... I went into labor and my son was born on January 27th in the middle of the blizzard. The nurses were stuck at the hospital so some were pretty crabby! and the National Guard had to bring in reinforcements. Everyone kept calling me to tell me not to have the baby that day! January 17, 2008 6:06 PM Anonymous said... I was actually living in upstate NY at the time - the blizzard was equally as bad there - I guarantee... I remember being a cheerleader and having a game that night - the town that we were playing was only about 30 minutes away. Back in the day - you sucked it up and made it through... we got to the game with no problem... coming home (after our win) was not so pleasant... 4 hours on a bus full of smelly, sweaty basketball players... but oh, the memories... school was cancelled the next day! January 17, 2008 6:08 PM highflier92660 said... When I left Kent State University for my parents home in Shaker Hts. it was snowing, but nothing I thought my trusty Ford Fairmont couldn't handle. However as I-480 merged into I-271 the situation grew more serious; the cars weren't moving and a snowbound gridlock set in. As time wore on the blizzard grew more ominous. Somehow I managed to crawl my way as far as the packed Holiday Inn at the outskirts of Randall Park Mall where I spent the night. That long closed hotel was my savior in the Blizzard of '78. January 17, 2008 6:29 PM Anonymous said... I worked in Bedford Heights at the time but lived in Bath Twp in Summit Cty. I was driving a 1976 Plymouth Arrow(a small car with rear drive). I decided to head for home around 3pm and got on I271 south at Miles. It was so bad I got off at Rockside Road and headed toward a hotel on Northfield Road. Luckily I got the last room. I unfortunately was above a room where several guests were playing cards-all night long. I was somewhat afraid because all I could think of was arguments, guns etc. since this particular hotel had a reputation for rowdiness. I did get up early the next morning around 4am and decided to drive home. I took the non highway route and luckily got through the Cuyahoga Valley into the hills of Bath Twp. Carefully snaked my way up the hill to where we lived. Luckily my family had shoveled the drive enough for me to make it to the house. January 17, 2008 9:10 PM Anonymous said... I was 7 yrs old at the time. Since my mom couldn't get the car out of the garage, she sent my two older brothers and I, along with one of my friends, to the grocery store (Fazio's, when it was still around). My brothers pulled the toboggan while my friend and I held on to the groceries. I'll never forget that winter! January 17, 2008 9:45 PM Anonymous said... I was a volunteer with the Disaster Services Agency in Geauga County. I remember early morning being warm and it was raining and then the bottom dropped out and the temps dropped and the snow started. I believe the County Engineer went on blue flu and remember driving excess property (U.S.) ambulances and deuce and a halfs to get emergency response personnel to the hospital. The snow was up to the top of the hood, which means we were driving through 4 - 5 foot drifts. I still can't figure out how no one died during that event. All I know is that I was 21 and didn't sleep for 3 days. January 17, 2008 10:12 PM Anonymous said... I was a freshman at the University of Akron. Luckily, I lived in Spanton Hall, which had an underground tunnel that connected to the dining hall. We never had to leave our cozy quarters for food, school was closed and we enjoyed ourselves!


Most Watched Videos