CLEVELAND -- A family of four safely escaped an early morning house fire when the family dog woke them up, alerting them to the fire.
The fire was reported around 3:30 a.m. Monday in the area of E. 100th Street and Buckeye Road.
The family of two adults and two children lived on the second floor of a two-family home, fire officials said.
They woke up to the sound of the dog barking, and saw the whole second floor filled with smoke. Nobody was living on the first floor at the time.
It is not clear if the home had smoke detectors or if they were working properly, according to conflicting reports officials received.
A neighbor helped the family out of the burning house.
Red Cross was called to the scene to help the family.
The roof of the home was destroyed and the dwelling is unliveable.