LORAIN -- A Lorain County Sheriff's deputy is being commended for saving three people from a burning house.
Deputy Todd Weegmann had been dispatched to a disturbance call at a bar in the early morning hours of April 8 when he noticed smoke coming from a house on Royalton Road (Route 82) in Columbia Township.
Suspecting that the smoke was not coming from the chimney or furnace, Deputy Weegmann pulled into the driveway and saw flames climbing up the back of the house.
The pounded on the door and received no answer. He then forced open the door and screamed for anyone inside to out immediately. Three people inside the house heard him and were able to get out safely.
The home did have smoke detectors that were sounding but the occupants were sleeping too deeply to hear them.
The Columbia Township Fire Chief told Lorain County Sheriff Phil Stammitti that had it not been for the actions of Deputy Weegmann, the occupants of the house may have perished in the fire.
Deputy Weegmann is a 12-year force veteran.
Sheriff Stammitti says the incident shows the need for officers on patrol.