Prosecutor: Ohio bomb suspect used phone in plot

6:25 PM, Jun 11, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

AKRON -- A prosecutor says an Ohio bridge bomb-plotting suspect planned to use a phone to detonate what he thought were real explosives.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Justin Herdman showed jurors the phone and fake explosives at the beginning of Joshua Stafford's federal trial on Tuesday in Akron.

No bomb went off and no one was injured in the plot last year. The intended target was a highway bridge over the Cuyahoga Valley National Park between Cleveland and Akron.

The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer reports that Stafford, who is representing himself, acknowledged to jurors that he can be seen in an infrared video taken by the FBI at the base of the bridge.

But the 24-year-old Stafford said the evidence will show he did not intend to blow up the bridge.

Associated Press

Most Watched Videos