Tuesday the Department of Transportation launched a new online series, called "Faces of Distracted Driving."
U.S. Transportation Secretary Roy LaHood says, "what we've heard from families and loved ones, is we have to attack this problem if we are going to save lives."
Last year nearly 5,500 people died, and half a million were injured in accidents involving a distracted driver.
LaHood says distracted driving has grown into an issue that's as dangerous as drunk driving, and stresses that past campaigns to raise public awareness about drunk driving dangers and seat belt safety have been very successful.
Since LaHood's first summit on the danger of distracted drivers one year ago, the number of states that ban handheld cell phone use while driving has risen to eight, while the number that prohibit text messaging has jumped to 30.
Click here to watch the first three videos of the "Faces of Distracted Driving" series.