LIVE VIDEO: Channel 3 News Today    Watch
 

Dimora's co-defendant Gabor to file for new trial, acquittal

2:23 PM, Mar 20, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

AKRON -- Attorney Leif Christman will file for a new trial and a judgment of acquittal for his client Michael Gabor.

Gabor, 52, of Parma, was found guilty March 9 on 7 of 8 federal counts, including conspiracy, bribery and racketeering.

In a filing with the court late Tuesday, Christman asked for a 14-day extension to file for a new trial and a 9-day extension to file for a judgment of acquittal.

If granted by U.S. District Judge Sara Lioi, both motions for Gabor would be due on April 6.

Late Tuesday, U.S. Attorneys responded, saying they are not opposing Christman's requests for an extension until April 6. 

Gabor was the sole co-defendant of Jimmy Dimora, 56, of Independence, who was found guilty that same day of 33 of 34 federal counts.

Both men were taken into federal custody and are scheduled to be sentenced on July 25.

Both men were among the 50-plus defendants so far in the Cuyahoga County corruption probe. Their trial began on Jan. 4.

Dimora's attorneys filed motions Monday for an extension of time to file for a new trial and a judgment of acquittal.

Late Tuesday, U.S. Attorneys said they opposed the request "...as excessive and unnecessary."

In their filing, the U.S. Attorneys said that asking for a nearly 3-month delay would put the deadline right before the beginning of the next Cuyahoga County corruption trials, specifically for Anthony Calabrese III and Samir Mohammed and Hamdi "Sam" Qasem.

"By selecting May 29, defendant Dimora ensured that the government's response falls squarely in the midst of the briefing schedule in the case of United States vs. Calabrese..." the response reads.

In their response, the U.S. Attorneys said they would not oppose a delay until April 6, the same extension that Christman is asking for Gabor.

On Tuesday, Dimora's attorneys asked for a hearing to allow Dimora to be freed from federal custody until sentencing.

Dimora and Gabor were both taken into federal custody immediately after their convictions and are now in the Northeast Ohio Correctional Center in Youngstown.

Lioi has also not ruled as to the release of the evidence presented at trial.

The release has been requested by several media outlets.

Lioi is giving the U.S. Attorney's office until March 26 to respond to the release and Dimora's attorneys have already responded, saying they are against any release of evidence because Dimora's second trial is still pending.

WKYC-TV

Most Watched Videos