WASHINGTON -- The White House says President Barack Obama would exempt military personnel from any automatic defense spending cuts.
Members of Congress want more answers on how the administration would implement the looming across-the-board reductions.
Acting Office of Management and Budget Director Jeffrey Zients said Tuesday what military leaders had been suggesting for months -- the president would exercise his authority under the budget law and spare uniformed men and women.
Zients and Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton Carter were scheduled to testify Wednesday before the House Armed Services Committee on the impending cuts.
Automatic cuts of $110 billion are slated to hit domestic and defense programs beginning Jan. 2 unless Congress can figure out a way to avert the reductions.
By DONNA CASSATA, Associated Press
The Associated Press