BERLIN -- German authorities say a Berlin court has ordered the suspect in the slaying and dismembering of a Chinese student in Montreal be held in pre-extradition custody as his likely return to Canada edges closer.
Berlin state court spokesman Tobias Kaehne said Wednesday the court made its decision at the end of last week that there was enough evidence to keep Luka Rocco Magnotta behind bars pending extradition.
Berlin prosecutors' spokesman Martin Steltner says his office now needs to ask the German Justice and Foreign Ministries to sign off on the extradition.
Magnotta, 29, was captured last week at a Berlin Internet cafe. Investigators suspect Magnotta of killing student Jun Lin and posting a video online showing him having sex with the dismembered corpse.
He has said he won't fight extradition.
The Associated Press