Court says Cuyahoga judge erred in $2B award against Ford

11:18 PM, May 4, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

CLEVELAND -- An Ohio appeals court has reversed a decision ordering Ford Motor Co. to pay nearly $2 billion in damages to thousands of commercial truck dealerships and sent the case back to the trial court.

The 8th Ohio Court of Appeals, in a 22-page decision Thursday, overturned last year's ruling that the automaker had violated dealer agreements and overcharged for commercial trucks over an 11-year period.

The appeals court said a trial judge in Cleveland had abused his discretion in excluding possible evidence in Ford's favor.

Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Peter Corrigan in Cleveland issued the ruling based on a Feb. 11, 2011 jury determination that the company overcharged dealers for commercial trucks over 11 years.

The $2 billion award covers more than 3,000 dealerships and about 474,000 trucks. It includes a judgment of about $781 million and about $1.2 billion in interest.

The case involved more than 3,000 dealerships around the country and about 474,000 trucks.

Attorney James Lowe, who represents some of the dealers, said he hadn't seen the decision and declined comment Friday.

The Associated Press

Most Watched Videos