CLEVELAND--The head of Cleveland City Council's public utilities committee says he had no idea of the hidden electrical hazards Channel 3 News uncovered on the streets of Cleveland and Akron until he saw the exclusive report Monday.
"I'm very surprised. I thank you for bringing this to our attention," Councilman Kevin Kelley said. Channel 3 News teamed up with a company from New Jersey which tests for contact voltage in cities around the country.
Watch Tom Meyer's Exclusive report from Monday
The company has found about 65,000 electrical hazards similar to those found in Cleveland. A streetlight at East 22nd Street and Central Avenue was described by Tom Catanese of Power Survey Company as one of the most dangerous he's ever seen in the country.
He found 454 volts sparking off the metal pole. Cleveland Public Power fixed the problem soon after Channel 3 News notified them.
CPP issued a statement saying "...the steel poles that have the potential to become hot make up less than 5 percent of our inventory."
CPP said it is looking into infrared technology that would allow crews to span a wide area and test for hot poles as part of routine maintenance.
Power Survey found several hot and potentially dangerous poles in Akron. FirstEnergy repaired the problems after hearing about them from Channel 3 News Investigator Tom Meyer.
According to FirstEnergy, the utility has "rigorous inspection and maintenance programs to repair unsafe conditions."
The company said it will evaluate their programs to determine if changes are warranted. Neither utility does routine testing of contact voltage.
Councilman Kelley wants to know what else CPP plans to do to insure public safety.