Melted Ice Cream Cone Cupcake
1. Start by making your favorite cake recipe. Bake into cupcakes, cool, reserve a few cupcakes for the cake balls. (Below are our chocolate and yellow cake recipes.)
Chocolate Cake Recipe:
2 cups sugar
1 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cups + 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder (extra dark)
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
*Mix all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl just until combined.
1 cup cold strong coffee
½ cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
Mix all wet ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to dry ingredients. Mix just until combined.
Pour into lined cupcake or cake pans, and bake until toothpick comes out clean.
Yellow Cake Recipe:
In a large mixing bowl with whisk attachment, whip 1 cup (or 2 sticks) of butter until fluffy. Add 2 cups of sugar and beat for 7 minutes, scrapping in between. Add 4 eggs one at a time. Have 3 cups of self-rising cake flour set aside in a bowl.
In a separate bowl combine:
1 cup of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of butter extract
Alternate in thirds the flour and the milk mixture. Mix barely until combine, you will see some flour still along the sides. Have greased or parchment lined cake or cupcake pans ready. Bake until toothpick comes out barely clean.
2. Next make your favorite buttercream. (Below is our buttercream recipe.)
Put 10 egg whites and 2 + ½ cups sugar in a large mixing bowl over a double boiler. Whisk by hand until all sugar has dissolved and egg whites are warm to the touch, approx.: 3 minutes. Take off heat, place whisk attachment in and whisk egg whites until cool. They will become fluffy and stiff, but feel the bottom of the bowl to make sure the bowl is still not warm. (It is important so your butter doesn't melt.) Then add 2 lbs. of butter (or 8 sticks) that are cut into small pieces and are room temp. Place into the bowl a little at a time. Once all butter is in, add your flavoring of vanilla extract (2 teaspoons) or your preference of taste.
3. Next mix your cake balls. To do this, mix a ratio of 1 part frosting to 3 parts crumbed cake. Roll into balls that are the size of your ice cream cone and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Freeze at least an hour or until firm all the way through.
4. Melt chocolate chips over a double boiler. Pick up frozen cake balls one at a time with a toothpick and dip into chocolate generously. Place on parchment paper cookie sheet. Take out toothpick, sprinkle with your favorite colored sprinkles and top with the cone. Set aside to cool and harden.
5. The finish: Decorate your cupcakes with a small amount of buttercream, drizzle chocolate over top along with sprinkles and place harden cake ball ice cream cone on top.