Filet of Sole "Veronique" Braised Celery Vichyssoise, Mushrooms, Turnips and Grapes
Yield 4 portions
2 T whole butter
(4) 5 oz portions of sole filet (preferably summer sole or fluke)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup cornstarch
8 oz of cleaned seasonal mushrooms (baby bella from the grocery are just fine)
1 cup braised celery vichyssoise (recipe below)
8 oz turnips, peeled, diced, and poached in boiling water for 5 minutes to par cook
1 cup dry white wine
1 tsp lemon zest
12 grapes (red or green) cut into 1/4's
Celery leaves for garnish
1. In a large sauté pan over medium heat on the stovetop, melt the whole butter.
2. Season the sole filets with the salt and pepper(save a little seasoning for the vegetables), and dredge each into the cornstarch.
3. When the butter sizzles, and begins to turn a brown almond color, add the sole filets. Shake the pan briefly to make sure that the fish does not stick.
4. Add the mushrooms and the turnips to the pan, and season them with the rest of the salt and pepper.
5. After 3 minutes, turn the fish over in the pan, using a spatula or pancake turner. Briefly move the mushrooms and turnips about in the pan to cook them evenly. After 3 additional minutes, turn the heat to high, and add the white wine to the pan. (This is called deglazing)
6. Add the lemon zest to the pan, and let the wine bubble down to syrup. Add the chopped parsley, and remove the pan from the stove.
7. Divide the sole filets, mushrooms and turnips onto 4 warm plates, and top with the pan sauce. Drizzle the fish on each plate with some of the celery vichyssoise, and garnish each dish with celery leaves and the grapes. Enjoy!
1 small Idaho baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" chunks
1 small Spanish onion, peeled and cut into 1/2" chunks
2 stalks celery, washed and cut into 1" sections
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp salt
2 cups water
Place all ingredients into a small saucepan over low heat on the stovetop. Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes and vegetables are very tender. Remove from the heat and place the sauce into a blender, and blend thoroughly. Chill in the refrigerator and its ready to use.