Cinnamon Buns with Icing
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 pkg. dry active yeast
1 cup warm milk, scalded & skimmed
½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3 Tablespoons cinnamon
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk.
- Cream together sugar, butter, eggs, and salt. Add flour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Place in a very lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place free from draft from a minimum of 1 hour until dough as nearly doubled in size. Can be refriderated overnight.
- When dough is ready, in a separate bowl mix brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Punch down dough and roll out on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle shape about ¼" thick.
- Spread the softened butter, from the filling, evenly over the surface of the dough, and sprinkle evenly with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Roll up the dough like a jelly roll.
- Cut the rolled dough into 1 ¾" slices and place on a parchment lined baking sheet, allow about 1" of space between each roll.
- Put rolls into a warm place and allow to double in size, approximately 30 minutes.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly golden. Ice the rolls when still warm.
Cinnamon Bun Icing
2 sticks butter, softened
3 cups confectioners' sugar
½ cup cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
- Whip together all ingredients.