AG: More charges possible after Steubenville rape trial

2:32 PM, Mar 4, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

COLUMBUS -- Ohio's attorney general says he'll announce after the upcoming rape trial of two high school football players whether charges will be brought against others.

Mike DeWine says he isn't ruling additional charges in or out in the case, which centers on the rape of a 16-year-old girl in eastern Ohio.

At least three other students witnessed the encounter and still others apparently knew about it. Hacker-activist groups and women's advocacy organizations have questioned why people who knew about the rape weren't charged under an Ohio law requiring people to report crimes of which they're aware.

DeWine on Monday said his office's investigation is now looking at what happened after the alleged assault.

DeWine's office told lawyers for three witnesses last fall that their clients wouldn't be charged.

A court official says at least 40 witnesses could testify at the upcoming trial of two high school football players charged with raping a 16-year-old girl in Steubenville last year.

Fred Abdalla Jr., chief probation officer for Jefferson County Juvenile Court, said the March 13 trial will likely last three or more days and stretch into a weekend.

Presiding Judge Thomas Lipps has previously ruled to keep the case in Jefferson County and open it to the public, with some restrictions on photographing witnesses.

he two players, Trent Mays and Ma'Lik Richmond, have been on house arrest since last fall, when Lipps ruled the case should stay in juvenile court.

Abdalla said prosecutors have subpoenaed 28 witnesses, and one defense attorney has subpoenaed another 12, with more subpoenas expected.

he alleged rape is said to have occurred at a party where drinking was taking place. The victim is from Weirton, W. Va., which is across the river from Steubenville.

Associated Press

Most Watched Videos