Investigator: Female inmates pressed for sex

1:11 AM, Nov 20, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

CLEVELAND -- Gail Anderson knows only bits and pieces of what happened to her sister, Brittany, while she was an inmate at the Wayne County Jail.

"The guard had told her that he would go into her personal belongings and smell her clothes and stuff," Anderson said.

But Anderson and another sister say it might be a clue to why Brittany Carmona was found dead in Orrville. The Wayne County Coroner ruled the death a suicide, but without an autopsy being performed, the sisters don't know for sure.

"We both have our doubts -- a lot," Anderson said.

Channel 3 News started digging into the case of Brittany Carmona following her death last month.

So far, no one is talking -- not the sheriff, not the guard, and not the other inmate who was suing the sheriff's office along with Carmona.

That lawsuit, naming the guard, was filed here in U.S. District Court in Cleveland court two months before her death.

The story begins in December, 2010 at the Wayne County Jail in Wooster. Carmona was serving a 45-day sentence for driving without a license. Amber Bolen was one of her cell mates, doing time for drug trafficking.

One of the guards on the block was Corrections Officer William Albright.

lawsuit by Carmona and Bolen accuses Albright of grabbing Carmona's backside and asking "if he could do additional sexual things" to her.

Two days later, Albright encouraged Carmona and Bolen to "engage in a three-person kiss with him," the lawsuit says. Bolen then rubbed Albright's privates "through his pants, for his sexual gratification."

The women agreed, the lawsuit says, because Albright promised them an early release from jail if they kept quiet.  

"I don't like that she had to go through that," Anderson said. "She shouldn't have had too."

Instead of keeping quiet, Carmona and Bolen alerted Albright's superiors. The lawsuit says that, at the sheriff office's request, the women agreed to wear a hidden recording device to catch Albright when he went on the prowl again.

But Albright became suspicious, making Carmona "pull up her blouse so he could inspect her" and forcing Bolen "to pull down her pants ... and pull up her blouse."

It was enough to bring administrative charges against Albright, but for some reason Sheriff Thomas Maurer allowed Albright to resign. He wasn't prosecuted.

As for Carmona and Bolen, they allege in the lawsuit that other guards retaliated against them.  

After being released, Carmona returned to Orrville, where she lived with her husband and two of her six children. Two others had been adopted and two were living with Anderson.  

"She always wanted a big house for all her kids to live in," said Anderson.

Things turned bleak in September when her house caught on fire. One of her children was playing with matches, the Orrville fire chief said. The state took custody of both kids.

A police report says that Carmona was despondent and drinking on October 3. Late that day, police got a call of a woman hanging from a rope in a railyard. It was Carmona.

The coroner said there were no signs of injury, suggesting there was no struggle before death. The coroner said there is no law directing her to conduct an autopsy, and in this case, "There is nothing more an autopsy would tell us to help determine the cause of death."

Still, Anderson is not sure that's the whole story.

"I'm not at peace with what happened because I don't know what happened," Anderson said. "Some days, I think she might have (committed suicide) but other days, no."

Lawsuit PDF:


Most Watched Videos