Hummus & Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Prep time 25 minutes
Bake time 35 minutes
1 bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped (stems included)
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 quart water
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 pound skinless and boneless chicken breast
2 cups Sabra Jalapeno Hummus, or your favorite flavor
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
2 teaspoons cumin
2/3 cup green onion, sliced
1 1/2 cups reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/2 cup black olives, sliced
1/4 cup jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
8-10 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil or olive oil spray a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Place first 5 ingredients (cilantro through chicken) in pot on top of stove and poach chicken breasts until cooked (about 20 minutes).
- Remove chicken breasts, discard remaining water, cilantro and onion and set aside to cool.
- When cool, shred into small pieces. This can be done the day before.
- In large mixing bowl, gently combine shredded chicken, hummus, sour cream, cumin, green onion, 1 and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover bottom of baking dish with enchilada sauce.
- Cover with even layer of tortillas, breaking into pieces as necessary.
- Top with even layer of chicken mixture followed by a layer of enchilada sauce.
- Repeat until chicken is used up and end with layer of tortillas.
- Top with enchilada sauce, cover and bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes.
- Uncover, top with remaining cheese and black olives. Bake about 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve with extra enchilada sauce and chopped jalapenos on the side.