COLUMBUS -- Test results have been returned on samples of food taken from the Kent Chipotle restaurant after more than 430 patrons reported becoming ill after eating at the restaurant.
The test results confirm what investigators had suspected based on the symptoms of those who became sick.
The Ohio Department of Health confirms the food borne illness was Norovirus Genotype G2. However, pinpointing where the viral contamination began will be a much more difficult task.
"We know the cause of the outbreak was norovirus. It is very difficult to confirm the origin of the contaminated food items to a food borne outbreak," said John Ferlito the Kent City Health Department Health Commissioner.
Patrons became ill after eating at the restaurant between April 14 and April 18. Stool samples taken from those who became ill also tested positive for Norovirus Genotype G2.
Food samples were taken from the Chipotle on April 18 and were tested by the Ohio Department of Health. According to investigators, samples were tested for the following organisms and all tests were negative:
- E. Coli O157
- Fecal Coliforms
Health officials say some secondary cases of norovirus are being reported, from people who had close contact with those who initially became sick.
It's recommended by the Kent City and Portage County health departments that people practice good hygiene and hand washing to avoid transmission of the norovirus, which is highly contagious and easily passed from person to person.